One of the common questions couples have is what is involved in getting married in Australia

Step 1 Meet with the marriage celebrant to discuss your needs.

1.1 Sign the Notice of Intended Marriage Form which needs to be signed 30 days out from the ceremony.  As part of this I may need the following:

  • Birth cert: for Australian residents
  • Passport: If born outside Australia
  • Stat decs: if not born in Australia and no passport
  • Death cert: if divorce due to death
  • Divorce cert: if divorced

1.2 Sign the Declaration (Form 14)

Form 14 Declaration (signed before the ceremony) which states that there are no legal impediments to marriage.

1.3 Receive the Happily Ever Before and After Pamphlet.

  • something of what it means to be married
  • the laws you need to know about when you marry
  • where to go for marriage education, marriage counselling or family dispute resolution.

Step 2 Rehearsal (if desired)

Step 3 Ceremony

3.1 As for the legal part of the ceremony I:

  • Must introduce myself and my role. ie. My name is Dave Segal and I have the privilege and the authority by law to officiate at your marriage today.
  • Must recite the words required by section 46 of the marriage act in front of the wedding party, the witnesses and the guests: “I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law. “Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter. Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of two people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”; or words to that effect.
  • I must be close enough to the couple getting married to see and hear the marriage vows required by subsection 45.2 being exchanged. This is the most important legal part of the wedding ceremony and constitutes the marriage: “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, A.B. (or C.D.), take thee, C.D. (or A.B.), to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband)”; or words to that effect.

3.2 Bride and Groom & Witnesses sign Form 16 – Certificate of Marriage which is then sent to the Births, Deaths and Marriages Office

3.3 Bride and Groom & Witnesses sign Form 15 which is their copy of the Marriage Certificate.

  • Celebrant gives the couple the form 15 certificate (Certificate of Marriage)
  • If the Bride and Groom wish to get a legal copy of their marriage certificate they should request a copy through the AG department
  • Celebrant records the certificate number from form 16 (the one sent to the government) on form 15 Record of Use. This form is kept.
  • Celebrant sends Form 13 NOIM to Births Deaths and Marriages within 14 days of the marriage being solemnized.
  • Form 16 Certificate of Marriage to Births Deaths and Marriages within 14 days of the marriage being solemnized.
  • Form 14 Declaration (signed before the ceremony) toBirths Deaths and Marriages within 14 days of the marriage being solemnized.
  • Any Statutory Declarations


Leave a Reply